Monday, February 28, 2011

Court backs decision to bar Christian foster couple Mr and Mrs Johns said they could not tell a child homosexuality was an acceptable lifestyle Continue reading the main story Related Stories Foster pair 'doomed' by gay views Foster bid refused over 'beliefs' A decision to bar a Christian couple from fostering children because of their views on homosexuality has been backed at the High Court.

There was a story posted on facebook that dealt with some issues of discrimination.  This article is about a christian couple in Derby London that was denied an application to be foster parents because of their beliefs on Homosexuality.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12598896 , http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/derbyshire/7264318.stm

I agree with the courts ruling in that we must protect the children.  If we allow children to go to homes where there is discrimination of any kind we as a society are condoning that discrimination.  I was raised in a strict christian home and I know full well what is taught to the children in the church and it is discrimination.  I discussed this with my good friend and she has different views.  She does not see how that is discrimination and put the argument out there that it is better than placing kids into homes that advocate homosexuality but beat the kids and I agree to a point.  She also said that in the articles Mrs. Johns did not say that she would tell the child that homosexuality is wrong so it would appear that the subject just wouldn't come up.  I do not agree, as a child that was raised in a christian home I have to tell you everything comes up, and that was one of the first things, I was taught at an early age that homosexuality is wrong and that those that practice it are sinners and going to hell along with the Mormons, Catholics, Jehovah Witness's, and many other people who might have a different belief system.  The thing I find the most ironic is the fact that the couple is black.  You would think that of all  people  they would not advocate discrimination of any kind.

It would appear that most christian have forgotten what being a christian is about.  It is not your place to judge others and tell them they are wrong.  Jesus said to lead by example, and accept all even sinners.  Did the Christians of the world forget that Jesus was friends with Mary Magdalene? A common whore yet he treated her the same as everyone else.  As Christians it is not your job to tell people they are wrong and sinning but to lead them down the right road by example.

So......... As I said before I do agree with the courts ruling on this subject and the thing that made up my mind was this statement made by Mrs. Johns "   She said: "They asked 'what would you do if a child came home at the age of 10 and said to you that they've been picked on because they're homosexual?' 'Do you know you'd have to tell them it's ok to be homosexual'?
"I said, I can't do that. My Christian beliefs won't let me do that.
"I would try and assure the child the best I can and tell them... I am a Christian and I don't believe in homosexuality but I can give you as much love and security as I possibly can."

Honey all that love and security isn't going to do jack if that child is made to feel like the bully is right about his sexual orientation.  And you making the statement that you don't believe in homosexuality is just reinforcing the bullies actions.

2 comments:

  1. While I do not agree with promoting discrimination, I believe that we are also harboring discrimination by allowing the courts to decide that someone will or will not be good parents based on their answer to if they agree with homosexuality. I have always instilled in my daughter that some people are different but we love them and accept them regardless and I do not believe that this couples intentions are to encourage hatred in the potential foster children. I believe that even if this couple does not agree with homosexuality, there are other things that should take precedence when determining fit parents. Will this couple love and care for the children? Will they abuse the children? Will these children be left to fend for themselves? Additionally, is it not discrimination to view a parents sexuality or a parents views on hetero/homosexuality as a basis for good parenting? Before we start to attack someone for not yet having the chance to prove their parenting skills, we should look at all of the already parents who are actually proving that they are not fit to even care for a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I believe that both points should be looked at now, can we really choose which is the greater evil??

    ReplyDelete